Yarny Wonders -and then some!

Adventures at the Work Table

August 21, 2010

Maja Cape...in Danish

I found the most amazing cape pattern on Ravelry! Written by Katrine Wohllebe, it's beautiful! I love it- it's knit in pearl knitting, which I think looks so stylie, and I just really want it as an addition to my winter wardrobe. Even more amazingly, it's a free pattern. Here's the catch...the pattern is offered only in Danish.
Ok- what to do?
I'm stubborn.
I found online resources for translating Danish knitting patterns- yes- there are more than one! And I translated it out. It appears to make sense, I think it will work. How cool is that?
One thing I was struck with as I was translating, was how knitting patterns, once you get past the specific language, have a language all their own. That's one of the reason's I think my translation will work, even without a working knowledge of Danish. The pattern flows, it makes knitting sense. I can't wait to try it.


Here's the link to the Filcolana site where you can see what I'm talking about- and download the pattern if you speak Danish! Here

No comments:

Welcome!

This blog is mainly to document my journey in Work: Knitting, Crochet and learning to do things such as Tatting, Netting, Drawn Thread Work and Sewing. Plus anything cool I find along the way :)
Lately, I have become really interested in 19th century fashion! But I also have a huge interest in expanding my skills with the goal that eventually, I will be able to make my clothes. I love to wear Salwar Kameez, but I want to be able to design and make my own, especially outfits in fabrics that are suited to colder weather since I live in upstate NY!