Yarny Wonders -and then some!

Adventures at the Work Table

December 12, 2007

Mittens for Tiernan

Currently, I'm working on a pair of children's mittens for my son Tiernan for Christmas. I'm using a pattern by Sivia Harding who based hers on Elizabeth Zimmerman's adult mitten pattern.

Child's Simple Mitten Pattern

I'm using a sturdy worsted weight acrylic yarn as these are for an active 5 year old, in a pretty heather grey. I changed the pattern somewhat, in that I'm making the body of the mitten in moss stitch, but keeping the ribbing and the thumb according to pattern, ie: k3 p1 ribbing and stocking stitch thumb.

Mittens and finishing work completed Dec.16th. I'm going to wash them gently and give a good soak in some fabric softener- not the vinegar-based kind, but the kind with oils in it so that it will give a little water-resistance to the mittens. :)

No comments:

Welcome!

This blog is mainly to document my journey in Work: Knitting, Crochet and learning to do things such as Tatting, Netting, Drawn Thread Work and Sewing. Plus anything cool I find along the way :)
Lately, I have become really interested in 19th century fashion! But I also have a huge interest in expanding my skills with the goal that eventually, I will be able to make my clothes. I love to wear Salwar Kameez, but I want to be able to design and make my own, especially outfits in fabrics that are suited to colder weather since I live in upstate NY!