Yarny Wonders -and then some!

Adventures at the Work Table

December 13, 2007

Vest for Sean

I've been working on a vest for my son Sean. I wanted something plain, but elegant that I could add to. I came up with a Fair Isle type pattern to knit into the bottom above the ribbing that was based on a pattern on a mantlepiece that I saw in an architectural design book on Arts and Crafts houses in England. I love Arts and Crafts architecture! But I digress...

I'm using this basic pattern from Berroco for the vest:

Peter Easy

I'm using a cream acrylic yarn with tan, grey and black flecks for the body of the vest, with heather grey acrylic yarn for the ribbing, the neck and sleeve ribbing, and for the opposite color in the Fair Isle pattern.

This was pretty much my first attempt at working a color stranded pattern. I've pretty much come to the conclusion that I don't want to strand anything more than 3 stitches across the back without twisting. It really keeps the strands nice and neat and not too loose. I knit the first row along the bottom carrying 4 stitches, and I really didn't like the way it looked on the reverse. I worry about the strands getting snagged, especially on a child's garment, so that's going to be my new personal color working law. No more than 3! lol

No comments:

Welcome!

This blog is mainly to document my journey in Work: Knitting, Crochet and learning to do things such as Tatting, Netting, Drawn Thread Work and Sewing. Plus anything cool I find along the way :)
Lately, I have become really interested in 19th century fashion! But I also have a huge interest in expanding my skills with the goal that eventually, I will be able to make my clothes. I love to wear Salwar Kameez, but I want to be able to design and make my own, especially outfits in fabrics that are suited to colder weather since I live in upstate NY!